Our volunteers’ dedication and hard work makes an incredible difference in the lives of homeless animals! We have several different volunteer programs. Read on to find the best one for you:
Adult Volunteer Program
Adult Volunteers are 18 years or older and are involved in the following areas:
- Adoption Center Assistance
- Animal Behavior & Enrichment for Dogs, Cats, and Small Wonders
- Dog Bathing
- Special Events & Fundraising
- Humane Education
- Photography for adoptable pets, volunteers in action, and events
- Maintenance & Repairs
To become an Adult Volunteer:
- Attend an Information Session! They are held the first Saturday of most months at HSP and are about an hour in length. The session covers HSP’s philosophies, current needs and the process to becoming a volunteer! To register, contact Lucy Monette, our Volunteer Manager, at Lucy@HumanePinellas.org or (727) 797-7722 x238.
- Schedule a volunteer interview and complete your application!
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation upon acceptance. Volunteers working directly with the dogs or cats must also attend Open Paw training.
Adult Short Term Volunteer Program
The Short Term Volunteer Program is for adults who are unable to make a weekly commitment or who need their hours documented (i.e. court, school, etc).
To become an Adult Short Term Volunteer:
- Attend a Short Term Volunteer Orientation session. They are held every Saturday at 9:15 am. To register, contact Lucy Monette, our Volunteer Manager, at Lucy@HumanePinellas.org or (727) 797-7722 x238.
- Sign up for hours!
Teen Volunteer Program
This program is for those teens 16-18 years old who either need documented hours for scholarship needs or have an interest in the animal welfare field.
Teen Volunteer responsibilities vary and can include:
- Morning K-9 Kennel Assistance – helping provide basic daily care for the dogs
- K-9 Break Leaders – making & distributing ice treats for the dogs
- Feline Support – helping provide basic daily care for cats
- Medical Support – helping out in our medical department, mostly with cats
- Humane Education Support – assisting our Humane Education Specialist
To become a Teen Volunteer:
- Attend an Intro to Teen Volunteering session! These are held three times per year. They run about an hour in length and cover HSP’s philosophies, current opportunities and the process to becoming a Teen Volunteer. To register, contact Lucy Monette, our Volunteer Manager, at Lucy@HumanePinellas.org or (727) 797-7722 x238
- Attendees will be given an application to fill out for review by the Volunteer Manager, and may be invited to attend a group interview for further selection.
- Those invited to participate in the program will be required to attend the Teen Volunteer Orientation.
- Teens volunteering for the Spring and Fall/Winter sessions are asked to commit to two 3-hour shifts per month, plus one major event. Teens volunteering for the Summer program are asked to commit to two 3-hour shifts per week, plus one major event. Teens assigned with work with dogs or cats will be also be required to attend Open Paw training.
Family Volunteer Program
The Family Volunteer program allows youth ages 10-15 to volunteer with a parent or legal guardian. Kids get to learn about an animal shelter and what we do for the community, learn responsibility, and have fun! Family Volunteers do not commit to a regular schedule but rather volunteer when they can.
To become a Family Volunteer:
- Contact Lucy Monette, Volunteer Manager, at Lucy@HumanePinellas.org or (727) 797-7722 x238
The foster program matches HSP pets that aren’t quite ready for adoption with caring people who open their homes. From unweaned babies to special needs adults, there are many foster opportunities to fit your household!
To get involved, start by filling out a Foster Volunteer Profile.
For more information, email HSP’s Foster Coordinator Danielle Bates at Foster@HumanePinellas.org.